From the Desk of: A Terrorist (A Poem)

From the Desk of: a Terrorist

After years of violence- a life devastated
By the sinister intention of harm screaming inside my troubled brain-
I now stare in the face of silence.
Endless days of shelling innocence
And unending nights of ear-splitting noise
Made by whizzing bullets
And diabolical calls from vicious men
Seem to embrace their closure.

The inhuman hand that held a weapon capable of proving human mortality
Now holds a pen
Realizing the inevitability of the same.
The ink in the pot
Desiccated
During all this time due to its futility
Has been rejuvenated by hope
And spoonful of water.
And so I make the most of this moment of sheer bliss.

Hello. I am a Terrorist.
My name holds the least importance
As do the names of others
Of my breed.
The world around me doesn’t seem much ‘intriguing’.
Men women children:
Potential targets condensed in flesh and blood-
Bear the most important weapon of mine.
Fear.

The teeny drop of blood
Red with life
Settled on the epidermal woollen seam of my long robe
White with serenity
Is reminiscent of the acts of barbarism
I have been committing all my life.
Using my breath
To end others’.

Never
Did I confront the inkling
Of the cogency of my deeds
Until now-
When I gape at the nothingness perched on the table.
The ink is drying and
My eyes drenching.
In a moment will be the paper wet
Not with ink but tears.

I realize
My weapon had forever
Resided in my flesh and blood.
Growing with every moment that spot on my robe reminded me.
In the days of the past I yearned for a reason
To spend this gift of breath.
Little did I know
I chose the wrong one.

Faith
The excuse of what I gave-
The least of what I knew-
Even lesser of what I tried
To know
Deceives me in all its forms.
‘Belief’ reprimands me.
Remorse engulfs me.
The nothingness that lay in front- compels me.    

However- this poison
Won’t eschew my being.
The bright soul inside this dark frame
Won’t break free.
The blood on the robe
Won’t dissipate.
The nothingness on the table
Won’t saturate.

For I lack
A name a faith a form a conscience.
For I exist
But not in being.
For I live
In every source of life.
I am terror. A parasite.
I am not me.
I am in you.

The ink has dried. My mind teems. And nothingness persists. 

     

©Vikram Grewal

Comments

Puneet Bohra said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Akshita said…
Wow, just wow.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
"I'm in you", the eternal fear of unstoppable wrath. Amazingly written. Truly a fan of your writing skills.

Popular posts from this blog

"ESSAY KAISE? " by Vikram Grewal AIR 51 UPSC CSE 2018

The UPSC Book of Anything and Everything (mostly)- by Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)

The Complete UPSC Mains Notes Omnibus of Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)