Days UnderCloud: Volume III : "With a Little Help from My Friends"

Days UnderCloud #21






19th Nov '19
When your birthday clashes with the Innovation Day at the Academy, you realise that a whole lot of free time in between classes can be utilised 'innovatively' in clicking photos- to send back to your Mother who isn't really sure if anyone's wishing her son on his special day- so much so that she gets a cake parcelled- which creates a supply pressure on the birthday boy to create demand from consumers around him. But she doesn't know that the number of incredible friends that he has made in Mussoorie make him feel like home. They shower him with best wishes, hugs, Gifts and cream and cake...lots of cake!
And he sends her the pictures from the day, to which she replies: "Brush kiya na sone se pehle?"


Days UnderCloud #22






23rd-24th Nov '19
India Day.
A celebration of culture, cuisine and colours of the country. An opportunity for me to take out the Kashmiri Pheran and Pathani kurta pyjama from my suitcase. I'm glad my stately attire is the most compatible with the weather in Mussoorie. I can just roam around cozily in the pheran just like winters at home. It's also an opportunity to relive my memories of all the other states I'd stayed in. And what better way to do that than food: from delicious litti chokha, tunday kebab, thick lassi to awesome uttapam, chicken parota and heart warming kahwa (and so much more that escapes my mind but not my memory.)


Days UnderCloud #23






26th Nov '19
Early morning Shramdaan for a Swacch Bharat (what i would like to call a better substitute for PT). If the road from the academy to the library chowk looked a little cleaner for the days to come, it is because some Blue Hooded Youth decided to rid the road of polybags, bottles, packets of eatables, pan masala (and some other 'unidentifiable' non-biodegradable stuff). We couldn't do anything about multiple Ajay Devgns peeping out of hoardings asking us to bolo 'Zabaan Kesari' though.
This moment that shows my innate obsession for Parle G has been captured by Anuj bhai and the feat of cleaning the Zero Point despite heavy rain was achieved by Kanishak , Jay, Gunjan and Yours truly- who all ended up at the dhaba nearby to munch on maggi, parathas and chai- and hence got late in reaching back the academy.


Days UnderCloud #24






29th Nov '19
They say a picture says a thousand words. And I always stick to the word limit. So won't write much.
Last session of 94th FC, Lbsnaa.
The Diamond Batch is ready to shine.



Days UnderCloud #25






First week of December, Last week of the course.
The Cafe Crawling Society has been expanding. At the core of its activity remains Landour Bakehouse. We have successfully tasted each item on the menu. However some of us have had to compromise on certain rules of the club- for instance, the 'no second helping' rule had to be done away with, considering the unsustainable presence of a hungry band of youths. The visits now seem like invasions. But well, the more, the merrier. And as Alexander Supertramp wrote, 'Happiness is only real when shared.'
To a week of sharing.
Splitting the bill is a territory we won't talk about here. :P


Days UnderCloud #26






6th Dec '19
If there were PTMs in college, my parents would definitely turn up. My mum always made a point to attend all parent-teacher-meets in school that she could manage considering my dad's frequent postings and hence my low average span of school time per tenure.
My father, who'd usually be away at the border, would miraculously show up for Annual Functions. 14 years of school, 3 years of college, 3 months of training: and nothing changed.
They were there for the Valedictory Ceremony at Lbsnaa.
My sis? Well, she's always been too cool for all this. Cooler than Mussoorie in December.


Days UnderCloud #27






6th Dec '19
As the Valedictory Ceremony began, the consistently changing seating plan came to a full circle, when we were given positions we occupied on our very first day at the academy.
On this parting note, we had mixed feelings: sadness (because we wont be able to sing the beautiful Academy Song together after this) and happiness (because we wont be singing the beautiful Academy Song together after this). Considering the fact that many of us still didn't quite know the lyrics to the Song correctly- valediction came as a relief.
But well, 'naahi bhoy' and 'haabe joy' for that, so we basically knew the essence. And that's all that mattered.


Days UnderCloud #28






'Well begun is half done.'
To have a great roommate solves half of one's problems in a new place and environment. Mr. Manoj Mahajan brought with him a sharp analytical mind, an innocent smile, an infectious politeness and endless humility to room no. 403 of Ganga Hostel- A room that became an exclusive domain of awesome music playlists, insightful discussions and most importantly, senseless laughter. We would go about joking incessantly during post-class hours, however, the 'lights out' deadline would be adhered to (at least by me). He'd turn up late but would take extra caution against disturbing my sleep. But damn, the guy knew how to party.
This is the last photo that was clicked by me at the academy in Mussoorie.
Manoj has a new roomie now.
And, I have a new academy. 


* * *

Comments

Anonymous said…
Extremely impressive way of writing !
Anonymous said…
if you happen to see this comment, sir could you please tell us why you chose ifs over ias? eagerly waiting for your reply.
udit said…
yess...if you could please give the reasons why ifs?
KNK said…
Besotted with the ingenious core of this artist✍️ 😍
Dreavdangi said…
Hello, your blogs are amazing.
I just wanted to say that- first, I am Swati. Self studying for exam. Gonna sit next year. What is happening, that I study for 2-3 days in discipline and then it becomes very difficult after 2-3 days and it takes at least one week to get back to those 2-3 days. So basically hardly I study 10 days in one month. Now it has become cycle from last 4-5 month. Earlier I thought it's going to be okay and I am gonna be in discipline when right time will come. But now I am really trapped and feeling helpless. Bcoz I have to make it in first attempt bcoz of some financial constraints and with self study.As well as I over think a lot in those 2-3 days.
Can you help me, how can I come out of this trap?
2nd, at the same time, I am scared whether I would be able to make it without Coaching.
If you can tell me what basic things I can do on daily basis so that I need not to be worried.
I will be thankful of you. If you can guide me on these issues.
Alka Bamhrolia said…
You've definitely heard this quite alot of times but one more time won't hurt so,
You're a genius & you've achieved tremendously despite being so young. & The best part? It's all naturally into you.
Just by looking at you & these stuff, I get inspired to do the best I can ✨
We're quite similar in alot of our hobbies (writing, directing plays) too bad I can't play guitar. 😛
That apart, but I can literally listen to your interviews & interactive sessions with students on YouTube for hours cuz you say really wise things & it holds meaning no matter if it's about UPSC or life in general.

PS - not like pushing you to come back but we miss you Instagram. 💙
Hope we meet someday, somewhere, out of no where.
Impressive article. It was a great read. Want to be an author? Contact Orange Publishers, Book Publishers in India
Unknown said…
Whether listening to you on YouTube or reading your blogs just makes my day. Thank you for everything. Your way really inspired me to cherish my life. Thank You VG..
Unknown said…
After reading ur blog I had the same feeling which I get after watching beautiful movie...
You've got such a impressive writing skill.
Thanks
Keep writing and keep motivating us.
Anonymous said…
I have only one thing on my bucket list as of now. Once i clear upsc i am gonna announce it that i want to have coffee with you (Just like sara did). I hope we will meet soon.
Anonymous said…
i am leaving this comment in the hope that one day when i'm gonna met you, i will show you this comment myself ;)

Anonymous said…
Bhai,your writings are really really cool!

Popular posts from this blog

"ESSAY KAISE? " by Vikram Grewal AIR 51 UPSC CSE 2018

The UPSC Book of Anything and Everything (mostly)- by Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)

The Complete UPSC Mains Notes Omnibus of Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)