Days Homebound- Volume III- "Before Days UnderDoubt"

 Days Homebound #22





1-3 March '20
My ledger with weddings has been a short one. I say 'ledger' as one must recognise the economics of it before commenting on the social aspect of the event/construct. I say 'short' because I have only attended 5 marriages legitly. I say 'legitly' by taking into account over a dozen weddings that I have gate-crashed. (would fondly remember the only instant in which we were identified and kicked out successfuly.) The uninvited must always help in tackling of the economics of it I believe. Good food must always be appreciated. And this time I had great company to relish the banquet. 
It's always better when one is invited. And Mrigank was generous enough to invite me to the Sangeet as well. The dress code was Magenta or Yellow...I sort of wore both- diplomatically perhaps.
Reiterating my best wishes to Mrigank and Nupur here. :)

Days Homebound #23




7th March '20
It's a race against time. Before a busy month of attachments kicks in, I just have one day to meet all my relatives in Kurukshetra: Budhe Dada is numero uno on the list. As a history student I tend to give some importance to dates and 'historical causation.'
In the photo, that is my Great Grandfather seated between my Grandfather and me. I call him 'budhe dada.' He could never read or write, but back in 1950s, he decided that even though he had never gone outside his village, his son would have an education. His son (my Dadaji) sent his children to study beyond the district, across the state. His son (my father) took me across the country to receive an education. 
And when someone asks me what was the 'turning point' in your life, I think it was that one day in the 1950s when budhe dada decided to send dadaji to school. Now that I explain my Great-Grandfather that I will be working for the country abroad, he doesn't understand. He doesn't even remember my name and mostly forgets even his son's name. 
It is strangely unsettling when you are at the receiving end of all the praise and admiration for your achievement while the person who is perhaps the most responsible for it sits quietly aloof- maybe trying to remember a certain day in the 1950s.

Days Homebound #24




9th March '20
Guwahati Transit Camp welcomes us as our first stop in the army attachment. This note stuck just above my bed reminds me of the little things that are ubiquitous and uniform in cantonments. Little things that matter to the decorum and protocol that mostly go unnoticed. These are usually boring elements, however a lot can turn out to be extremely fascinating if your crazy streak continues to do its work. :)

Days Homebound #25





9-10 March '20
It is an age old African proverb and now a popular upsc essay opening quote / one size fits all interview quote: 'If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together'...but if you don't even know where you are going you just sit back and yawn. And others will yawn with you (and might even click your pictures). And a team that goes dizzy together stays together. A terrific company for the attachment in Arunachal Pradesh. Together we embark on days of exhausting travel, mountain dizziness and rediscovered Himesh playlist at the doors of Tawang along with our beloved leader Sangraam Saab.

P.s. 'Paani peete rehna chahiye.'

Days Homebound #26










12-13 March '20
The rapid ascent is followed by a faster descent. From playing Holi (I have always been a bit dazed and confused when it comes to this festival) with the brigade in Tawang at sub zero temperature and visiting forward areas at the the ground zero frontline to getting back to the humid Brahmaputra Valley where we bid adieu to our dearest guide and guru on this journey. Airports became second homes for a month. More was in store. *last picture: insert 'good times bad times' guitar solo. [sic]

Days Homebound #27




17-19 March '20
Bharat Darshan.
I almost died during an extremely naive trek in Ladakh in '16 and was told to not return until I'd 'grown up' and 'started behaving responsibly.' I'd thought I would only return to my favourite place on earth to walk on a frozen Pangong Tso and I'd estimated it to be after decades...but well, here I was with a terrific bunch of people to take care of me- especially when I didn't seem quite 'grown up.' I'd say none us seemed to be.
And, frozen damn Pangong. That's it. Enough said.

Days Homebound #28




1st April '20
The world's in a lockdown. In such a dynamically precarious situation, I consider myself extremely privileged to be home at this point to spend my "Days UnderDoubt."
At home, my sis and I invent gags and games to keep the illusion of hope and humour alive. (Our mum keeps the realism and caution alive.)
During a storm, Ostriches put their heads in the ground. But what if they live on the first floor?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Damn, Dhananjay is so cute.
Anonymous said…
why did you deactivate your insta account????? :/
Sunit Kumar said…
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6063654998337995918&postID=8523061960815387782

Popular posts from this blog

"ESSAY KAISE? " by Vikram Grewal AIR 51 UPSC CSE 2018

The UPSC Book of Anything and Everything (mostly)- by Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)

The Complete UPSC Mains Notes Omnibus of Vikram Grewal (AIR 51)